View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #236 (permalink)
Fountainhead
Track Member

Drives: 2019 Civic Type R
Fountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud ofFountainhead has much to be proud of

OK, put my Z1 Motorsports light in today connected as 4th brake light.

Mechanical: The lower and upper nuts on the cosmetic piece I hit with WD-40 *my PB Blaster was at home. The lower nut - of course - came loose very easily. The upper nut I had to cut in half with a Dremel wheel. So, then all was very easy after that.

Electrical: The thick orange wire in the harness was the Fog light, and instead of a green wire for brakes, I had like a baby blue, NOT green. So, I tied the Baby Blue wire and the large Orange wire together connected and closed up.

One item of note: The wire gauge of the Baby Blue wire (which feeds both brake lights in parallel) was about half the gauge of the Fog Light Orange wire. I didn't measure any serious voltage drop after connecting the Fog light but I measured the Fog Light today on the test bench with about 14 volts and current draw was about ~2 Amps.

I haven't heard of any issues with doing this mod with overcurrent in any harness wire so I'll take it on faith (this mod has been done since 2009) that it's OK in the end.

4th brake light looks awesome, and considering the minor effort to install a big thumbs up to all who left such great instructions for us!
Fountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote