View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mr&Mrs
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: RZ34
Mr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond reputeMr&Mrs has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so if I tap into the power going to the outlet....

1) Is it ok to hack up a Micro USB and tap in with it?
2) Will the outlet still have power to charge something? If not it kind of defeats the purpose of tapping into it.

3) How the fudge do I tap into it, I cant seem to find a diagram for it.

EDIT: One more thing! That would be coming right off of the 12V supply from the battery 14-15V while charging correct? Not sure of the amps...but that is to high of voltage I would think. Would I need some sort of resistor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
There are several methods that work well, which is best for you depends on how much experience you have.

Arguably the best method, but also the hardest to do, would be to solder your taps directly to the wires going to the lighter and insulate with heat-shrink tubing.

You can also use a fuse tap* at one of the fuse blocks. Easy to install and easy to remove if needed. The fuse block on the outer wall of the driver footwell is easy to get to but kinda defeats the purpose of finding a close place to tap power. You can grab power at the IPDM, but then you have to thread the wire through the firewall (not that difficult to do but I like to avoid going through the firewall because of possible leaks).

Then there are the crimp-type taps* that are very easy to install but can nick the wire and are more-or-less permanent. An acceptable method but, IMNSHO, low on the list.

*Not a recommendation, just the first example I found.

Last edited by Mr&Mrs; 04-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Mr&Mrs is offline   Reply With Quote