View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder View Post
I went to the dealer today and got my oil change, my car only has 6k miles on it and this is my second oil change. When getting my oil change, The mechanic told me he found a small leak under my car and its the gasket rocker.....Wtf??? Is this normal for a car with 6k miles on it and how serious is this problem?

The mechanic said it takes only an hour to fix.

The only good news is that its covered under warranty, but still, WTF!!
If it is just a leaky gasket, then it's not a big deal. It shouldn't have happened but, as someone else mentioned, they are put together by humans.

I agree with cheshirecat: this appears to be a new one. Hopefully the guy that diagnosed it as a valve cover gasket (AKA rocker cover gasket, rocker gasket, &c) knows what he's talking about but this is the first report I've seen of a leaky cover gasket. Find out the approximate location of the leak and keep an eye on the area for a few months after the repair. There should be zero fluids leaking in the engine compartment - if you see a leak, report to the dealer ASAP.

On the plus side, at least the guy changing the oil is paying attention and cares enough to say something about the leak. Oil changes are usually delegated to the lowest paid hand in the shop and sometimes their mantra is "The bare minimum is good enough." You got one of the good ones.