View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #1696 (permalink)
Huck
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Pantydropper machine
Huck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
And let me ask you guys a question. During night shots, if I'm looking through the viewfinder, the camera has no problem focusing. But after it focuses it won't shoot, and it blinks the flash symbol at me. Then without moving or anything, I'll switch to live view and it has a lot of trouble focusing. Once I get it focused (or almost, as you can see in the first pic above) it will take the pic no problems, no flash. What I resorted to doing was looking through the viewfinder, focusing, then turning off the auto focus and switching to live view to take the pics. It was kind of a pain. What am I doing wrong? For reference, I'm shooting with a D5100, stock lens, and the settings were 100 ISO, 5.6 aperture, shutter speeds between 15 and 25 seconds depending on the shot, and an auto white balance. Suggestions?
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm pretty sure I figured out the problem I was having (for the most part). My camera has three different options for metering, and I had it set on Matrix Meter, I set it on the next one Dow which I can't remember the name, but I think it was Center-Weighted Meter, and it had no problem focusing after that.

I still haven't fully understood what metering is or what it does, but I've also been too lazy to research it lately lol.

Sent from my iPizzle using magic and new-fangled science stuff
VLEDS | Evo-R | Moddiction | CF Hood Struts | F.I. CF CBE & LTH | Stillen CAI | NST Pulleys | UpRev | Z1 | M7 | Status | Forgestar | PSS | Whiteline | SPL | SPC | Kenwood | Zenclosure | Kicker | Alpine Type R
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote