Thread: 7amt
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #46 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haboob View Post
It's just a purist feel.

However, for me it gives my left leg something to do. I've had surgery on it and if it just sits there it goes completely numb, then feels like it's burning from the inside (stupid nerves).

A clutch pedal fixes that, giving it something to do and keep in motion somewhat.
I'd be hard pressed to have this being the determining factor... I've rode with manual Z's and now that my AT's been tuned, its a minute difference over a manual shift. The only difference is the lag between dropping power, and picking power back up. A human being simply can not shift as fast as the AT. So if anything, it's still quicker. I still feel just as connected to the car. I think this mindset works for 70's-80's even 90's era MT vs ATs, but with modern ATs, I don't think there is as much of a gap between them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haboob View Post
...And everyone is going AT. Us MT guys just want to be different.

Maybe it makes the car harder to steal (w/o a flatbed) too, as most kids/thieves don't know how to drive stick. <--- not sure if it's true, but kind of funny.
Trust me, if someone wants to steal your car, your car won't be there in the morning. And if in the attempt they figure out they Can't steal it, they will 1. f*** up all the internals, and 2 trash the hell out of it just because.

You also forget that most of the people who steal cars also drive late 80's early 90's hondas, which were primarily manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPenvy View Post
i could care less about the "purist" feel. it's all about performance and function over "form" lol
To be honest Frank, I agree with you on most cases, but in this point... Gotta disagree. If you want performance and ease of function/fixing, Manual is better for power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
Well, I have a 7AT and I think it's amazing...
BUT here are the downfalls of AT,

It weighs more
It costs more to replace
It can't take as much HP
It overheats
No lightweight flywheel
EDIT: Oh, and they lose less HP through the drivetrain
1. Given
2. Given
3. Gonna have to see what the AT's can handle after they've been effectively modded the same as manuals are with upgraded clutch/flywheels/etc. Though stock for stock, given.
4. Data to support this?
5. No clutch pedal either. So is the weight difference (flywheel only) really going to have a dramatic impact on a 3300lb car?

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote