Thread: Rattling Sound
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

I thought i cured all my rattles after i taped down the aspirator for the HVAC unit but then another annoying rattle emerged. It sounded like it was coming from under the dash, somewhere near the firewall or windscreen vents. I found out the other night that it was the damn lower steering column cover.

The 3 screws were very tight but there was still some movement possible. To remove the 2 plastic covers over the screws behind the steering wheel, i would recommend using a small hook style tool. Standard spudgers for removing trim panels are fairly useless. You need to lever from the inner edge and also wedge something thin and stiff into either of the horizontal edges to release the clasps.

I applied felt tape around each of the stalks along the lower and upper covers (these guide the two covers together so they line up, but they can rub and cause a racket). I applied felt tape around the section where the steering column would meet. I also applied felt tape near the screw holes to prevent any rubbing noises.

I also applied a few layers of felt tape around the arches which accomodate the indicator/wiper stalk humps. It probably requires 2-3 layers of felt tape (VAG type felt tape) as the gap is quite large and you will have to get creative as to how you apply it because the tape doesn't seem to stick well. Not sure why, but it could be an overly generous application of protectant by the previous owner.

I should've taken pics but it was a cold, wet night!

Pounding and knocking on the lower cover now results in a solid knocking sound. No looseness even when i try to wriggle it around. I will test on my 'test road' tonight but fingers crossed!
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote