View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Apollo8642
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Nismo #280
Apollo8642 is on a distinguished road

I would highly recommend you do something about the fuel starvation the 370z suffers from as well.

Here is my guide lines of things you need to be able to drift proper. I have little over 13 years of drifting and being heavily into it. I have seen my share of cars go to the scap yard, including one I put there myself.
My last drift car engine build www.ka-t.org :: View topic - My build

#1, A good LSD 1.5way for more experienced drivers and 2way for the newbies. can't afford a good diff and still going to drift no matter what, you might as well just weld it. (yes you can daily drive a welded diff)
#2, Good brakes, and no ABS
#2 1/2, Cooling, oil, diff and power steering coolers, the Z's are known to boil their diff fluid, and that is a bad thing specially for a clutch type LSD, drifting puts a lot of heat in to your car, keeping the engine fluids, power steering fluids cool is important.
#3, Suspention, good coilovers (look and see what Chris Forsberg is running and his setup on his 370Z FD car) also include adjustable arms, bushings, and solid bushings for the diff, subframe, steering rack, and rear knuckles are best for drifting. Reason for these is the play you get from the rubber or poly bushings can be a little bit unpredictable, and installing solid bushing will make the car very loud, but it will handle more predictable and that is something you want.
#3 1/2, Get your car corner balanced and your suspension proper aligned for what your doing, it will make a huge difference.
#4, Fuel starvation, right hand turns are a bitch when you pushing those lateral G's in the 370z's.
The advice section:
#5, Make sure you have a second car, difting will break the things.
#6, Remember it's not if you wreck, it's when you wreck, and drifting can be damn expensive, don't be a cheap *** on parts either.
#7, Drifting is something you do before, in, and out of a corner. Power sliding, doughnuts, and power overs are not drifting, no matter what anyone else tells you.
#8, Work on your short game build a foundation then work your way up to the big stuff. Driving an under powered car is the best way to build a solid foundation. Cars like the AE86, and the S13/S14 etc (aka your drift bitch, something your not afraid to hurt and usually is ugly as hell but cheap for parts), will help you lean more and be a much better driver/drifter.
#9, Good Luck!

Last edited by Apollo8642; 04-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Apollo8642 is offline   Reply With Quote