Thread: Oil
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naum16 View Post
I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic with a Mobil 1 M1-108 filter and wondering what is better for the Z I know Mobil 1 is a name brand but my are some people using red line . What is so noticeably different
Different formulations. M1 you are using is a Group III base stock synthetic (yes it is legitimate to call it that: you can thank Castrol and others...). Redline is PAO based IIRC. Different, more expensive base stock.

As already mentioned, a UOA is the best thing to do to trend how any oil performs in *your* engine with *your* use cases.

I used SJ-SN based M1 in 3 cars for 450+K miles of driving, so it does something right in many use cases

Based on some UOA's I have seen, I have been using Pennzoil Ultra 5/30 in my Z. If I had only one oil to stock in the garage however, it would be M1 0/40 (which is a light 40w, shears to a 30 quick...fantastic additive package) for 7500 M extended OCI's.

For now, I run 4-7500 miles Sched 2 service on the Z, I bring my oil to the dealer in its 5qt jug and keep it this way until the extended warranty is over.

If you are running conservative Sched 1 (3750) OCIs then honestly for the street, any oil today should be fine: SN oils have good add packs for the most part.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote