View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
faplifesmitty
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z MB 6MT
faplifesmitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dP3NGU1N View Post
You say you understand and yet you say you're having problems as if the question had not been answered. You are going to continue having problems finishing your slides cleanly because you/we do not have a mechanical locking LSD. I'm not going to say it can't be done, I'm sure someone much better than I can do it with relative ease, but the characteristics of a viscous LSD is that it will never lock 100% and thus your car will retain grip at unexpected moments (IE at the end of your drift).

The key to drifting is to constantly keep the rear tires spinning so they cannot achieve grip. With an open diff you're basically only spinning 1 wheel which is not adequate to maintain a drift. As the VLSD heats up the viscous fluid that allows it to operate basically turns to mush and you're essentially trying to drift with an open diff. This is the problem. You have maybe 30 min to an hour on a track before that happens. Even when it is operating properly it's maybe 80% lock because the LSD is being turned by a liquid and fins instead of gears and discs.

Someone correct me if some of this is way off.

I'm actually not sure exactly how long the section of the track was. I want to say between 75 to 100 feet from entry to exit? but I could be way off... Never exactly walked the track.
Okay, I get it.That explains why things progressively got worse. My car also went into limp mode👎and the frustration got worse. Thanks for the reply btw
faplifesmitty is offline   Reply With Quote