View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why the OP is borderline being flamed because he is right...

At least when we are talking about only installing the intake. The intake can increase gas mileage in a car based on his explanation of how power re-distributes once the intake is installed.

But what OP is also failing to realize that anyone putting on an intake ONLY and thinks they improved the cars performance is dilusional and is feeling the euphorium placebo effect from buying something shiny on their car they can show off to their nut-hugging friends... You wont see any power gains till you are somewhere around 5200 rpm. Anything else, you are losing between 4 and 12rwhp.

So why do we install intakes? Intakes are there because they are part of a system. That system is a new intake, manifold, header, downpipe/HFC, and exhaust. when you make the complete mod and finalize it with a tune, you will see serious power gains. Between 50-80hp.

Most don't follow this method. Most add on an intake and exhaust. Forget about the rest and at best gain 20hp up high while losing 10 down low. The full mod is meant to be done in one giant modification to feel the true results of your breather mods and tune.

Is buying an intake over stock worth it??? Fvck NO!!!

Is buying intake, manifold, headers, downpipe/hfc, exhaust and a tune worth it.. FVCK YES.

Then there is another debate... Which intake companies design intake that will lose the least hp down low before gaining. This research would be very costly because it would take a well financed magazine to go throw every type of intake and dyno them.

What may be great engineered intake on one car may not work as well on another. Theoretical Example. Stillen may provide 18hp above 5200rpm on th Z but it may lose 12hp from 1000-4800rpm, while injen may only produce 15hp above 5200 rpm but injen may only lose 4hp between 1000-4800 rpm??? So which mod would be better?

I don't think anyone has tried to do direct dyno comparisons but it would be good to see the effect with equally modded cars.