View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Adam426
Base Member

Drives: '09 Nissan 370Z Y M6
Adam426 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwChriswX View Post
So if I buy a car, it depreciates. Correct?

I mod it, it depreciates faster. Correct?

If I return it back to stock, prior to selling, does it magically regain that extra depreciation back? Because that's what you're alluding to...

If you want value on your return, you obviously get something more economical and mass produced. However most people that buy a Z fit into two categories. They want a Z and it is the epitome of fun for them, or they buy a Z because they can afford to buy it, enjoy it, and sell it to get their next fun car at their leisure. Modded or unmodded has nothing to do with either.

Of course it's going to smoke lots of 10 yr older cars... That's the nature of advancement. But whos to say the "new" developments 10 years ago in their prime didn't mean the golden age of automobiles, some would say the muscle car era was the peak due to the fact no one cared about emissions or restrictions. It was build a good looking car, put the biggest motor you could find in it, and melt tires.
I would add that this is the golden age of autos as we get the most stock performance for the buck at the greatest level of efficiency. Cars are better performing now, but I think are also at about the same price as 10 years ago (in constant dollars), while slightly more fuel effiecient. What seems to be happening now is that performance is staying the same while efficiency (MPG) is improving. Thats what seems to be the trend for the medium term. So the best time is now.

MPG is all BS. Sure cars will improve in terms of MPG. But what will be the result? People will just drive more effctively negating the lower pollution from efficiency gains (assuming gas prices remain constant). From an environmental perspective, high gas prices are good- people drive less and thus pollute less, and use less resources. But I'm rambling now.

Last edited by Adam426; 04-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.