Thread: Diddy's Thread!
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
diddy535
Track Member

Drives: '09 370Z RAE 6MT
diddy535 has a spectacular aura aboutdiddy535 has a spectacular aura about

Ok so now unfortunately some not so pleasant news. I bought the car used a year ago, since then I have put 9,000 miles on it. There were new tires on the car when I bought it and I obviously didn't have an alignment done. The following situation is completely my own fault for not checking on the tires or looking for any problems.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596414.924143.jpg
What you see above is one of my front tires, with a really bad amount of wear on the inside. Both front tires are like this unfortunately.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596426.008088.jpg
This is a depth from the inside of the tire, you can see it's down to 3/32.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596435.891186.jpg
This is the depth from the outside of the same tire, about 7/32.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364596447.591782.jpg
This is a picture of my rear tire on that same side. The tread back there is 6/32. I put this up just to show that I don't drive like a complete a$$hat and the rears still have pretty good treat life.

The mechanic who worked on my car today told me it was likely a toe adjustment that needed to be made in the front. He said if it is just a little bit out, that can cause the inside of the tires to be worn down. It looks like a case of really bad camber wear but I have stock coils/arms/etc.

I'm definitely embarrassed I didn't notice this until the car was lifted and I almost decided not to post this. But then again if someone can learn from my mistakes and avoid a situation like this I'd feel a little better. Basically the lesson I took out of this is get a proper alignment done, even when you buy a car, even when it's certified from the dealer. Because now I have two front tires that are completely useless. And after having some other parts installed it definitely took the wind out of my sails today.

Not sure if I should link this to another part of the forum and again I don't know how uncommon of an issue this is. But even if you have a bone stock suspension, get an alignment done, don't trust that the dealer did it correctly when they sold you the car.

Last edited by diddy535; 03-29-2013 at 05:44 PM.
diddy535 is offline   Reply With Quote