View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
My dad had an FJ a while back. They're ok. I imagine they're effective off road. I liked my brother's Xterra better than the FJ, but they're both fairly nice. I just always felt like the FJ could use another 50 hp. But everyone has their own opinions.

I won't lie, I've given wranglers a look recently. They're always going to be a cool and fun car, but I don't know if they're worth the price. Again, just opinion.
They probably aren't, much like many other fun cars. You can get an F150 4x4 for less that will accomplish more, but it's not a Jeep. As long as people are willing to pay extra for that badge, Chrysler group will take their money. There's no real competition and the vehicles continue to sell, especially now that they've softened them up for public consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6spd View Post
The FJ is down on power. The motor has been described as a "dinosaur" but I drove a 6spd version and it was quick for a truck. I would also like to be able to tow and the wrangler has crappy towing capacity compared to the FJ.
The Wrangler is definitely down on towing capacity, but I'm not sure how much better the FJ would fare in the real world-- it is down enough on power without a 5,000 lb trailer behind it.

If towing is a consideration, either vehicle is a bad choice. While you can technically move, say, as 2500 lb s2K on a light trailer with either truck, you aren't going to be able to tow a 370Z. In the case of the FJ, it might be more because you don't want to spend forever getting up to speed rather than raw capability, but it won't make struggling up every hill any more enjoyable. If you want to tow, get a truck made for towing. F150 or F250 would be my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6spd View Post
I was considering the new Wrangler as a new truck but I just cant get over spending $30K on a 4wd drive truck with a part time 4wd system. That's why the 6spd FJ Cruiser is so much more attractive to me.
What's the motivation for all-time 4WD?

I owned a GC with all-time, but every truck I've bought since is part time. Better gas mileage, and you have a no-compromise system when you need it.

That said, the torsen setup in the FJ isn't bad, and IIRC it does have a CD lock.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote