View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #62 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Unknown, going to temporarily hijack your thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
The grand cherokee are super nice rides. Jeep really stepped up their interior game and put together something nice.
they honestly improved the regular Wrangler interior quite a bit as well. The leather wrapped steering wheel is a nice touch:

It might not look like much compared to most cars, but it's impressive for a Jeep. Here's my 06 Wrangler by comparison:

That said, she was a looker on the outside:

Of course, at the end of the day, the role of a Jeep is to get dirty, and pretty interiors and scrubbed up exteriors don't help with that:

I won't even pretend these pictures suffice, but I haven't had a chance to take real ones yet.

I have to say the new platform is a much better car, but a much worse Jeep. It's still more capable off road than most anything else you can purchase new, but I'd much rather wheel an X/T/LJ than a JK... and I'd much rather wheel a JK vs a JKU. However, since I spend most of my time on-road, the JKU does the job quite nicely. It's much easier to drive as speed than the squirrely TJ, and four real doors are essential on big vehicles. As a side effect, it's definitely way more metal than I want to keep track of on a tight trail. It's tough enough maneuvering into a parking spot.

The freedom tops are a nice touch. Easy way to get some sun in the cabin without having to drop the full roof. I'd definitely recommend the hardtop on a JKU, while I'd be less enthusiastic on a TJ.

I'm still not in love with the exterior looks, but it is certainly growing on me. I don't think I'll ever really be a big fan of the JK style though.

I will say that if the JK platform is the way you go, get a 2012 or newer to take advantage of the new engine, and don't go any longer than 3.73 for gearing. I would not buy as a primarily offroad vehicle, but it certainly makes a great driver that still maintains a lot of wheelin' capability.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote