View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #46 (permalink)
morgan
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z MT Blk sport
morgan is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I tried to get mine off last week and thought I was going to rip the whole shifter out so stopped after a couple twists. Here i come Sears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromG2Z View Post

ALRIGHT!!! Thank you to everyone on this forum. I got it done! I used a combination of everyone's suggestions and it worked like a charm

So I used:

1) Robo-grip pliers and rubber protection on plier teeth (both from Sears)
2) Strap wrench (from Sears)

That's it!

Since the Robo-grip pliers had the red rubber protection, I used my left hand and gripped it straight on the shaft after lowering the boot. No marring on the shaft. Then I used my right hand on the strap wrench straight on the stock knob. Voila! It gave IMMEDIATELY. No marring on the knob whatsoever. It was a matter of having the right tools and the right leverage. That stock knob was on there tight though, after loosening it with the strap wrench, I figured I could just loosen it the rest of the way with my hands... but I was wrong. I pretty much had to use the strap wrench all the way till the knob was almost off.

This was my setup. You can see the robo pliers on the left, and the strap wrench on the knob. What a wonderful combo.

Stock knob is off!!! No damage to it (front and back)!!! Look at ALL that Loctite on the shaft threads!!!

And here she is all installed!!! I love it!!!

I was surprised the whole affair took me 15 minutes total... just needed the right tools... amazing. I love the new Nismo knob on there. I haven't driven her yet, but am looking forward to it!!! It looks and feels good though however... exactly the look I am looking for.

Thank you again to EVERYone who chimed in and the existing DYI's posted in this forum. You guys are a tremendous help.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote