View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #2024 (permalink)
Sonic370Z
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Tour Sprt M6
Sonic370Z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the car in all other conditions, but for us it was pretty bad on the highway. Not necessarily the volume, but it's just such a deep hum it gets in your head. Her hearing is more sensitive than mine, so it was worse for her. I can handle it if I have to, but I want to see if some deadening can cut down on the cockpit volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
It's a low frequency drone/hum so it sounds like it comes from everywhere. I think it's mostly the rear mufflers and the hatch, but it could potentially be the resonators and the X pipe right under the driveshaft tunnel.

I am planning on some dynamat, closed cell foam, and then some mass loaded vinyl to cut out on the noise from the hatch area and will see if that helps.

could it be the fact that the 18" res are "deeper" than the 12" res? or are they quieter than 12"? I didn't know if the resonators had more of an effect on volume or pitch?

anyhow, I have the same setup, 18" res w/ OEM cats and I actually want something a tad louder at times lol. I think this thing is perfect really. Sure it's a tad louder than one might expect at lower RPMs, but it's nice and deep and sounds good, but I don't think it drones at all, nor does it affect my music or conversation with my wife. She loves it too!

And once you hit 3k (cruising on interstate at 80 mph) I don't hear a thing. It's actually pretty quiet unless I downshift and really get on it. Just cruising along with this exhaust is perfect, especially at interstate speeds. I'm VERY happy because I drive a minimum of 60 miles a day between work and school, so having a relatively calm/quiet exhaust when I need it to be (interstate) and still having an available beautiful agressive note when I want to drive sporty, romp on it and have fun... this exhaust gives me both I feel. I'm very satisfied!

If anything at all, I'd possibly consider going to the 12" resonators (if anyone ever wanted to switch for my 18's). I felt the HFC's were just a tad too loud for me, so I assume the 12" CBE would be somewhere in between the 18" w/ OEM cats vs. HFCs.

Last edited by Sonic370Z; 10-05-2009 at 09:29 AM.