View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
I had an 89 XJ. It was bulletproof until it caught fire on the interstate. I poured thousands into that thing to get it reliable....didn't work. The XJ's are great, especially when modified, but they don't come anywhere close to the cj/tj platform in extreme off road capability with modifications. For one, the xj is a unibody. That in itself is very limiting for off road use. It does win in terms of versatility and usability, which are huge factors for doing other stuf besides off roading.

OP, check out the Moab Easter Jeep Safari concepts for the real badass looking jeeps.
For pretty much anything that resembles a budget build, the XJ tends to be a better route....a lot of that has to do with cost of entry. Unibody is kind of misleading, since the body welded rather than bolted on. it's much more beefy than most people realize. A couple of stiffeners usually get the chassis where it needs to be for more serious off-roading.

I've never seen the unibody become a limitation, even in extreme trails. There's a lot of guys that do things in XJs when the TJs and YJs turn around. You'll see a lot on forums about fatiguing the unibody and not being able to replace it, but by the point that occurs, you've generally destroyed something else on the car, not to mention I would just as quickly shift base cars as I'd shift frames.

What reliability issues did you have? I think I owned three that all went well beyond 250k and were sold running.

Fringe capability is arguably better (ie, wrangler has more favorable approach angles, but double whammy at Moab is far easier to manage in a cherokee), but for most first-time off-roaders, the lower cost of entry in the XJ means enough left over for the parts you need. YMMV.

I've owned 3 XJs and a tj. Loved all of them, but the xj is far cheaper, and when there are major wheelin' expenses coming--not to mention a sharp learning curve--cheaper is better.

Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote