View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #2016 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Well, my gf and I just got back from a weekend trip with the Z. 5 hours of highway driving each way. Let's just say I'm looking at sound deadening options. The sound really gets in and rattles your ear drums under load. The car is it's loudest/deepest at 2-3k which is highway cruising RPM.

On the highway the Z is definitely louder and deeper than my old Mustang that ran a non-catted x-pipe. Under load (say, in a mountain pass at 65-75 mph) the exhaust drowns out whatever your radio is playing. Pretty nuts.

If you can cruise at 80 mph (3k rpm) you pull out of that deep/droney zone and it's not bad, but anywhere below that kind of sucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the car in all other conditions, but for us it was pretty bad on the highway. Not necessarily the volume, but it's just such a deep hum it gets in your head. Her hearing is more sensitive than mine, so it was worse for her. I can handle it if I have to, but I want to see if some deadening can cut down on the cockpit volume.

It's going to take a serious job in the hatch to cut down on that. Definitely going to add some heft to the car but it's necessary, IMO. Probably need a foam layer and some mass loaded vinyl to block out a lot of the noise... we'll see!
Are you running stock cats or something else?

Just wondering...I typically don't drive it for a LONG time, but it seems that this car overall seems loud with the interior sound levels, to where I feel like I've got cotton being shoved in my ears while driving (overload?), and when I get out of the car into my quiet house, it's pretty dramatic the difference. I noticed this on my 2-hour drive from OKC back home...might have something to do with driver fatigue as well...

Might be that you're noticing that? (And I have OEM exhaust...)