Thread: Time to move on
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #44 (permalink)
cheshirecat
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking View Post
have fun with the n55 engine! My friend has a n54 and he says the n55 are much more reliable and therefore still used in current models.
I dunno- the N54 is a pretty stout engine. Forged internals- problems are very rare with the engine itself even with high (15+) psi of boost.

The platform does have other issues though.

-High pressure fuel pump failures (recalled)
-water pump replacements (electrical unit that stays on to cool the turbos after the engine is turned off, wear and tear item, 60k miles est)
-carbon build-up (estimate a walnut shell blasting every 50k miles)
- turbo wastegate rattle (bmw warranty covered to 120k miles)

In my opinion, it's an excellent engine, but be prepared to pay for the maintenance. I'd personally take the n54 over the n55 any day.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote