View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkwang View Post
Fuel pumps, by design, are located in the tank and the fuel is the only thing that's cooling it (like a radiator) from overheating and burning out. That's how fuel pumps are in general. If your running on fumes, the fuel pump will be running hotter = shorter life. I don't know how Nissan quality is but I ran my old '92 Integra till the E light was on all the time. No problems. I personally try to fill when it's down to 2-3 lights
Thank you for the explanation. I was aware that the fuel helps cool the pump, but is there ever a point where the fuel pump has zero fuel cooling it? If not, I would think that while a smaller volume of fuel heats up quicker, a full tank could get to the same temperature eventually on a long trip. So it would make sense to me that it could be affected more by driving habits in conjunction with fuel filling habits than just fuel filling habits by themselves.

Sorry for jacking the thread...

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote