View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
DarkJak
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2009 370Z
DarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond repute

I drive auto and I believe that our 7AT is the best traditional automatic transmission out there.

It shifts pretty fast, I believe less than half a second. The paddles are column mounted and very large, same as the GT-R's. They feel great to shift with, not clicky and flimsy like a lot of other paddles.

A lot of other cars will automatically upshift at redline when in manual mode, and a good deal won't let you downshift aggressively (ISF Im looking at you). The 7AT in the Z will hold gears and will let you downshift down to redline. It's also not much heavier than the manual trans, I think the number I read was 25 or 50 lbs, whereas most are over 100lb weight increases.

A manual is definitely more fun when you are just driving for fun though. It's one more interaction you have with the car. But having that additional action also makes it more of a chore if you ever have to drive in a traffic jam, or city traffic.

Off the line, I believe our auto gives us a pretty good advantage. I have a friend who recently bought a modded STi, putting 350 hp to the wheels. We had a couple runs on a country road, and due to having perfect and quick shifts everytime, the 7AT helped me pull on his car. And I sat in his car on a more technical course, he wasn't willing to go down a gear for some turns, which means he wasn't as quick coming out of the corner, putting him out of his powerband. Meanwhile, I was always able to keep in the 4.5-7k range, and it made several seconds difference. The advantage would be lost on a full sized track though, where speeds are higher.

I've had a lot of people who talk down to me for getting an automatic on a sports car, but after I show them how it works and the things I could do with it, they always change their opinions.
DarkJak is offline   Reply With Quote