View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
Yes and no. If you want to do a coaxial speaker you would be able to use an adapter and just install it in the door. however you would have to unplug your tweeter in the dash otherwise it would sound pretty bad. So yes but you would lose quality and imaging.
This option is part of my question. How would I unplug the tweeter wire? I mean, where is it? At the head unit there are only 2 wires, a right speaker +/- and a left speaker +/-. So somewhere in-between there is for sure a "split" to run wires to the tweeter and wires to the door. I'm thinking that "split" takes place at a crossover? Yes/no? If so, where is it?

Quote:
If you installed a component set installing the woofer in the door and installing the tweeter in the factory location. The set would include a crossover you would use as we. That would be the best way to go but you would have to run new speaker wire, which really is not that hard.
Well, this option will probably sound better, but how about the install? First, running new wires in this car will be a pain I'm sure. Then, Crutchfield doesn't make any mention of tweeter mounting, only door mounting, so how do after market tweeters fit in our cars? Do we need special brackets etc? And if I could just find the location of the factory installed crossover mentioned above, then I'm thinking no new wires would be needed. Couldn't I just tap them at the crossover "split" point? Put the new crossover where the old one is and be good to go? Yes/no? Why not?

Sorry to be such a dumb arse and a pain. I haven't installed car stereos since back in the 80's / 90's when there was no such thing as separate tweeters and subwoofers. Now I'm more of a home stereo guy so this car stuff is a bit Greek to me. I appreciate your teaching me about it now.

Thanks ---- Bonzo
Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote