View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #6785 (permalink)
Huck
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Pantydropper machine
Huck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond reputeHuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
My father had excellent results with an on-the-shelf product recently, even after his mechanic shop attempted to clean up his headlights with poor results. I'll check if he has any leftover or at least ask what he used
I learned how to do it on a $24 Meguair's kit that I got from Autozone. I did it on my MIL's Honda Civic and had great results, they looked brand new. But the problem is that when you're done you haven't really done a complete job. They include a 1200 grit and 1500 grit sanding pad, and then some wax and a "plastic protectant" for you to apply. What you need to do is get off ALL of the old UV factory clear coat that's corroding, that means going down to the actual plastic lens. You can't really do this with a 1200 grit sanding pad. You have to start with either 320 or 500 (on really bad ones I've had to use 180 before) then gradually move up in grit. I usually use 320, 500, 800, 1200, 1500, and then polish it with a 3000. By then it looks brand new, but you're not done. You have to apply a QUALITY UV clear coat, not just some wax and some off the shelf protectant. Maybe if you were to apply that stuff every single week for the rest of your life it might look ok for a while, but sooner or later it will come back. Trust me, I've been doing this for a while now and half of my customers are people that tried to use the off the shelf kits only to have it come back in 4 months. I'm probably gonna do a tutorial and take video soon then post it in the DIY. Actually I think I have a DIY posted on it, I can just add video.

Sent from my iPizzle using magic and new-fangled science stuff
VLEDS | Evo-R | Moddiction | CF Hood Struts | F.I. CF CBE & LTH | Stillen CAI | NST Pulleys | UpRev | Z1 | M7 | Status | Forgestar | PSS | Whiteline | SPL | SPC | Kenwood | Zenclosure | Kicker | Alpine Type R