View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Will I Am
Base Member

Drives: 2009 Z
Will I Am is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
The R-to-D-to-R-Clunk can be caused by a lot of things. Sloppy motor, xmission and rearend mounts, transmission slippage, worn u-joints, rearend wear, and brakes come to mind. Since it seems to be coming from one corner, I'd look at the brakes. Could be some slack where the caliper mounts or glazed pads. Also check the e-brake; it may be a little too tight and still touching the drum when released.
The car was previously owned by an elderly couple and when I bought it only had 9600 miles on it. It now only has 12,500. I doubt seriously it has any of the ragged out or broken mounts or u joints. The brakes look perfect. I did find something on here late yesterday that makes sense. Since it is only on the drivers side, this fits perfectly. I read (sorry can't find it now) that the axle nut comes slightly loose in the hub. It can't come completely loose, because of the cotter pin. But the direction the driver's side wheel rotates, it can loosen that nut a little, causing a little clunk when you shift out/in gears when parking. The fix was to use blue Loctite on the threads and torque it back to 77 -80 ft./lbs. I dunno. May try it out when we finally get some decent weather around here.

Last edited by Will I Am; 03-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Will I Am is offline   Reply With Quote