View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #328 (permalink)
cavemancan
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z TourSport MT
cavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond reputecavemancan has a reputation beyond repute

So I am riding on the 275/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear. I was actually afraid of how "beefy" the tire was going to look up front. Thankfully it almost looks stockish so I am very pleased. I would say 275/35 is at the size limit for the front 9 inch wide stock Rays. Any wider would prob be a waist without going with a wider wheel to make use of the extra wide rubber (pun intended).

Driving characteristics: very responsive at all speeds but perhaps too responsize at highway speeds? I can feel how affective the extra wide tire will be at an autocross but it comes with a slight down side in that it makes you work extra hard to keep the car strait above 70 mph. The slightest input or road inperfection will cause the car to quickly go in that direction which in turn requires you to have fast reflexes to control the car. I would not suggest it for the novice driver.

Another way of seeing it: imagine if your power steering assist was boosted at higher speeds. You would want it slower at those speeds not faster.

To be honest I felt this issue slightly from stock but bigger tires up front seemed to make it more apparent. Unless I am imagining this. Keep in mind my alignment shop does drift cars, race cars, etc so I trust those guys and everything is good to go in that respect. They made sure to tell me I was setup for neutral toe during my last alignment this past weekend.

I would be interested to get feed back from the track guys running a more aggressive tire up front. Have you all noticed this? What have you done to improve this? Etc.