View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
JoeyD
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 NISMO 370Z
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of performance gain that comes from wider, lighter or stickier tires or any combination thereof. Higher CO of friction almost always means a price to be payed in longevity. 2-4cm WILL increase your contact patch substantially. By about 2-4cm laterally in fact. Keep in mind that performance is more than just acceleration and horsepower. The right wheel and tire setup will bring you ever closer to the magical 1.0 skid pad and perhaps beyond.

Allow me to elaborate on the problem. Through first and second gear the TC light comes on almost without exception. Even with the auto if you stomp it from a stand still (no power brake just mash the gas and go) you will spin and spin until either you let up or the TC takes the car from you. A marginally wider tire 265, 275, or 285 (most likely what I'll choose) should allow the car to accelerate without breaking traction.

edit: Just wanted to add that I won't be doing any kind of speeds that drag on my tires will have a measurable effect. However, I will notice the benefit in having a wider wheel when cornering and accelerating. I've always kind of thought that people don't really have an appreciation for how important the proper wheel and tire setup is...it appears I was correct. This is possibly the easiest mod available and if done right can be one of the most dramatic (short of FI of course).

Last edited by JoeyD; 01-20-2009 at 02:29 PM.
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote