View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
I checked the intake. Nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't even get a chance to install the Gen 3's yet so it's currently the stock intake setup. If the code comes back, I'll make sure to check around the 02 sensors. I can't imagine an exhaust leak after the cats could trigger it, can it? Also, the misfire is random, so it could also be something in the fuel or fuel system or the battery. The car is close to 4 years (around 39k miles) with the original battery. It still starts fine, even with the cold weather.
It shouldn't.

I'd look for a rupture along the intake tract itself -- I had stupidly over-tightened the hose clamp on my old Z and managed to bend in slightly the neck of the intake box where it meets the tube causing an intermittent leak and weird idle.

Another possibility is a failing header gasket or problem with the TB's (apparently, not uncommon) or a small pinhole or crack in one of the resonators attached to the intake tubes (I had one of those crack where it clamped to the intake hose).

The only other things I can think of are something screwy with the misfire detection logic, (but the high idle definitely sounds like a vac leak) or a dirty MAF sensor giving misreads.

If you can't pin it down mechanically, I guess you could try doing so via datalogging if you have Osiris or if you can get hold of OBD II cable and software.