View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
ZBro16
Enthusiast Member

Drives: A Z.
ZBro16 will become famous soon enoughZBro16 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
JATCO makes the 7at.its one of the most advanced autos. Jatco makes CVT's... yes. Like it or not? They are the most advanced in the business. If you seperate fact from opinion you can appreciate what's positive as well as a potential negative.

Example.Negative. I don't like CVT's and nissan makes them.

Example Positive. I wouldn't buy a CVT cuz i don't like them, but at least nissan makes the most advanced CVT in the game, and everyone is trying to copy it.

Our 7at's shift at DCT speeds. Thats a huge feet almost no other auto can claim. Those are facts, my opinion aside.
Didn't realize they made transmissions with actual gears. That's cool. Props to them. That means it could go either way - CVT or 7AT or 13AT. Given Nissan's recent track record of sticking a CVT in everything, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what ends up in this car, hence the argument. I don't care how advanced the CVT is - it makes for a dull, boring, unengaging, and uneventful driving experience. I have owned one and driven it, so I'm qualified to form that opinion. When you discount the shotty reliability record of the Jatco CVT unit in general, they're great if all you want in a car is a people mover. That's not what the Z is, and that's not what the Q60 should be, either.

On the topic of all this factually opinionated stuff, I'll inject this - Borg Warner makes the transmission in the GT-R. I consider that to be an "advanced" automatic transmission. What Jatco is doing with the 7AT is simply improving upon a formula that has existed for 60+ years. They did a good job. What they did not do is reinvent the automatic transmission for a sports car.

I'm looking at this Q60 turd for what it is - a boring, non-innovative, entry level luxury car that will not outsell a CTS Coupe, a BMW 4-series, or an Audi A5. When the sales numbers are published next year, I'll let you dwell on those facts.

I have been a Nissan enthusiast for a long time. I talked with the Senior Marketing Manager to the Maxima, 370Z, and GT-R programs yesterday on a live chat. His name is Carl Phillips. The guy was about as excited and enthusiastic about these cars as I am about buying a Toyota Prius for autocrossing. That's who is in charge of the future design and marketing for Nissan's flagship products and the Q60 and the inevitable future turds like it are what we can expect from the company who employs people like Carl Phillips to be in charge of these products.

At this rate, companies like Ford could release a fencepost with four wheels and an SVT badge and generate more interest than Nissan is able to do with an entire brand with actual cars. And no, don't throw the GT-R in my face as the exception to that rule. The GT-R further fuels my argument in that it is the shining, living example of what Nissan can do at its maximum potential, and they choose not to do anything above what is necessary for any of its vehicles that are made for regular people, i.e. those that can't afford GT-Rs.

You view that as being negative - I view that as being realistic.