View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
400 out of a 3.8 of a general assembly line with turbos lets you dumb down the built, parts cost, complexity and lets you build a motor far enough away from it's fail point to make it reliable enough for mass production a car. Pushing more out of a 3.0 liter will make it less reliable. The 3.8 is block already developed and you won't need things like the spray in sleeves and full forged components that cost more. The GT-R's motor's cost comes from expensive parts, required tighter tolerances and hand-building, things you can dumb down at lower power levels. Nissan saves costs on uitlizing a block design that's already been in use and tested beyond anything they will need.
Don't agree with the highlighted statement. With today's technology and material usage in engines. We can pull 280 Naturally-aspirated horses out the engine reliably and add a reliable twin scroll unit adding 90 production hp to the 3.0. Making it a 370hp engine without any reliability issues. Today there are plenty of N/A performance motors pulling out 100hp-125hp per litre reliably, so 280 from a 3.0 before the turbos isn't even all that dramatic... Nissan was pulling 222 hp from 3.0 reliably in 1990. The extra 58 N/A hp with today's technology is nothing.
There are a lots of twin scroll BMW 135's running around with $2,500 "warranteed from factory stage one tunes" making 400-420hp reliably since BMW went from TT to TSST turbo's. The NA engine used by BMW is a weak 230 horses. So boost is playing a larger role than my idea.

A 3.8 engine wouldn't be nearly as fuel efficient and will make it hard for Nissan to reach Future cafe standard goals. Weight would be heavier in the 3.8TT. A new design 3.0TSST or TT might offer a lower center of gravity for better handling as well as keep weight lower than 3100lbs which I doubt would happen with a 3.8TT.
We would lose or be on par with future muscle cars in handling if we seriously don't consider weight reduction... I think the Z being on par with muscle in handling next generation would be an embarrassment to the nissan name. We have always been the best compromise between power and handling and we always super-exceed in handling considered how powerful our cars are... I don't think we should sacrifice that reputation for a few extra horses.

Generally speaking... The modernized, lighter version of the Z32 motor would still be a beast and a half.