View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #405 (permalink)
Zless@arizona
Base Member

Drives: '01 Chvrlt Tahoe 4x3
Zless@arizona is on a distinguished road
Default Strings and other high speed things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead View Post
Good post. I was thinking about maby running nascar brake fans to help move more air. Your right we will never know if they are really working well or at all. What about the string test thing? That is wind tunnelish right? After we put them on that could give us a clue as to what they are actualy doing.
The strings would only work if you could isolate airflow through the 1 x 6 opening. Any other air flow (such as if the vehicle is moving) will give false readings; any body movement (without air flow) may give false readings. But!...there is almost definitely air movement at the rear brake during a race without the scoops, therefore, the combined effect must be measured. I'm thinking the only way you can measure the effectiveness/need of the rear brake cooling devices is to attach to the caliper an electric pyrometer used for diesel EGT that saves the peak reading. The readings would need to be taken after a full race as the heat buildup is cumulative (one lap is not enough). Lemme see if I can find any EGT setup that would work in this application...
Zless@arizona is offline   Reply With Quote