View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
italy3541
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014BMW Z4 35isdrive
italy3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud ofitaly3541 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to italy3541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasubiker View Post
Agreed! You are sharp! cracking is the issue. I'm thinking 1 ounce fabric layered over the crack from where the fiberglass meets the urethane, sanded thinly. Maybe if it's thin enough it won't crack the paint later. It will have to be a resin, not a paste. The other issue is shrinkage from heat and time, all these compounds/ materials have diff shrinkage rates..and aging is not an option for me. Going to start with a mold of the original led area on the OEM bumper...build a FG part. THIS is going to be time consuming! Will consider your support beam idea.
i would use the mat instead if fabric. the crisscros randomness of the strands tends to be better for strength. when u mix ur resin i would use minimal MEK it will harden slower but wont get as hot and not shrink as much. plus the mat is easier to stuff into cracks saving you time once you start to apply the resin. the fabric likes to move around once you start to put the resin on.. i cant count the times iv had to hold the fabric with one hand while trying to put the resin on with the other...lol.. so frustrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiberglass.jpg (34.0 KB, 12 views)
italy3541 is offline   Reply With Quote