View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have this noise, but I will say that I find 2nd gear somewhat 'grabby'. It's a lot harder to shift from 1st into 2nd smoothly than, say, 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, etc. It takes a bit more 'finesse' to shift into 2nd smoothly. So if you're dropping the clutch in rapidly, I could see how that would cause some clunking noises. What I tend to do is 'lead in' with the throttle a little more when upshifting into 2nd. In other words, I press the gas pedal a little deeper, and a split second sooner, before letting in the clutch than I do when upshifting into other gears. At first, it felt a little strange, but once I got used to it, it just felt completely normal and I don't even consciously think about it anymore, and my upshifts into 2nd feel smooth now. BUT, this is harder to do at low speeds. If you're accelerating, it's easy to do this. But if you're not trying to accelerate, then you're not going to be pressing the gas pedal down much, if at all. So this method won't work if you're just trying to creep along at a constant speed. The only option in this case is to feather-in the clutch a little more gently. And if none of this improves matters, then I'd take it to the dealership.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote