View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
ScooterN2
Base Member

Drives: 03 WRX, 09 370Z
ScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond reputeScooterN2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using a Passport 8500 for the past several years. It seems to detect X, K, and Ka band well in advance of the radar (at least when it is continuously on).

But overall, I'm not sure the unit is all that great and perhaps due to seeing few cops and everyone driving fast in Utah may be why it seems to perform OK. I have been stopped twice for speeding and neither time did the alarm go off. I received a warning on one and got lucky on the second when the cop had to go to an emergency and did not have time to give me a ticket. I did not asked them how they foiled my detector.

I have also had a problem with the laser detection mode and had to turn disable that function in my WRX (laser function was on when I was stopped previously as stated above). The problem with the laser was when I would accelerate in the WRX. On occassion, the laser detector would go off while accelerating, presumability due to an increase in voltage that was causing the laser detector to go off (??). I plan to turn that function back on and see if the Z causes it to go off.

Detectors may help in some situations, but now days I think you just have to lucky to not go by the cops or be following other fast cars for interference (and be on the lookout). With instant on, laser, pictures, aircraft, pacing, etc, there are too many ways to be caught.
ScooterN2 is offline   Reply With Quote