View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blown32
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Blk sport 6T
Blown32 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370er View Post
I am just learning manual for the first time after driving auto for 7 years. My left foot actually has to do something now. You say you don't have to push the clutch to the floor to change gears but in the manual it says something like 'depress the clutch fully when changing gears'. At the moment i'm having trouble getting it moving smoothly in 1st gear. After that I can do things reasonable smoothly. Just that the clutch has a lot of travel on it so when I push it to the floor and start letting it out I have trouble doing it smoothly. Any tips for a newbie?
Well in your above statement lies your answer.'Depress the clutch fully" is not the same as "depressing the pedal fully".The pedal "only has to be pressed enough to "disengage the clutch".It is at that point that you need to depress.. "no further".So when you find that sweet spot that is as far as you have to push in everytime you shift and when you are at a stop.When you slowly release the pedal from that point the clutch starts to engage and the vehicle starts its forward motion.Once you fully release the pedal the clutch is fully engaged.Thats why it is important to get the feel of the pedal so once you begin to release you follow through smoothly releasing without hesitation because if you hold half way you are causing the clutch to slip some and that makes heat therefore after some time you will burn the clutch causing it to slip.Also DON'T start a bad habit of leaving your foot on the clutch pedal once in your final gear.A very simple process that practice makes perfect.
Good luck and hope I have explained so you can understand.
Blown32 is offline   Reply With Quote