View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #3197 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
Is a Torsen type lsd better?
Depends on how you drive.
Track guys and drift racers prefer clutch plate diffs 1,1.5,or 2 way

Daily drivers like the Quaife style helical gear.

I recommend taking to some racers and tuners to decide what you will be happiest with. It's a pretty in depth topic. With pros and cons to all types.

I chose Helical gear type for ease of maintenance, daily drivability and because I have no need to tune my lockups (1,1.5,2 way). Also I don't wan't to worry about plate wear.

The OEM VLSD is probably fine if you are not driving pretty dang hard or competing.

I mostly upgraded mine to:
1 enhance predictability while power sliding (drifting)
2 help get more grip in the Colorado winter snow
3. Reduce the occurrence ofVDC while accelerating out of hard turns on really twisty roads.

All these would be better served with clutch LSDs but I want a compromise of better drivability (clutch style like the NISMO optional, are loud and "clunky") and lower maintenance.

So far, I'm happy with my choice.

Hope this helped.
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix

Last edited by SurfDog; 03-08-2013 at 12:56 AM.