View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #168 (permalink)
SpawnAeroJohn
NOT A CURRENT VENDOR

Drives: you
SpawnAeroJohn will become famous soon enough

Just bringing this forward so people see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansz20 View Post
How can the fangs in carbon be cheaper then these???
Quality. Our B pillar price is $175.00 plus free shipping.

We start off by adding two layers of clear UV resistant gel coat on the mold and that takes about 2 hrs including drying time.

We then apply three layers of carbon fiber and one layer of fiberglass (we make them a tad thicker now). We infuse the resin.

Once that cures we then demold them, trim them, sand the surface, and apply a UV resistant coat of DuPont clear coat.

We let that dry over night, wet sand in the morning, apply another coat of clear and let that dry.

The next day we wet sand, buff, and polish.

I say it several times a week and I'll never get tired of saying it. With most things in life ESPECIALLY carbon fiber, you get what you pay for. If its cheap its no good, if its good its not cheap. Many carbon fiber and fiberglass workers will say the same thing.

We have to charge so much because of the quality of carbon fiber and resin we use. The consumer has to take into consideration the price of materials, other shop expenses, pay for the employees, the cost of the equipment for vacuum bagging and oven curing, the cost of clear (over 250 a gal of DuPont clear), and there’s just so much more that comes into play.

I never bash other competitors and businesses but when you see carbon fiber parts so cheap (and I'm saying this in general, not pointing fingers) you have to really think where can they be cutting costs? Materials, time, labor, expertise?

Most people know this.