View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #171 (permalink)
DangerDanJD
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z Sport PG
DangerDanJD is on a distinguished road
Default Partial Reimbursement from Nissan

Here is the complaint I sent to Nissan resulting in a partial reimbursement (just over $500) after my Z had the failure at 48,000 miles. I also did not have to sign any type of release and am still eligible for reimbursement/repair, etc. if there ever is a recall.

Note: My letter just included the links as text, aka "http://www.the370z.com. . . " the website puts them in hyperlinks in the post.

Dear sir or madam:

My name is _______________. I am the owner of a 2010 Nissan 370z with approximately 45,000 miles. This weekend I experienced a catastrophic failure with my vehicle. My car refused to start and the key light was illuminated. I had to have the car towed to my local dealer, ____________ Nissan in _____________, Tennessee.

When I called and spoke to a customer service representative from ___________ Nissan service department, I was informed that my vehicle was the second that weekend to be brought in with the same problem, what turned out to be a faulty steering lock mechanism. I was told that their service department was aware of the problem and that while no recall had been initiated “yet,” I should contact Nissan-USA customer support to request coverage for the repair. I though it strange that they said there was “no recall yet” which suggests a recall in the future is at least anticipated by the service department.

Upon doing some research, I discovered that this is a well documented and continuing problem. It is my understanding the problem affects 2009-2010 Nissan 370z as well as some models of the Altima and GTR. I believe that a voluntary recall may have even been issued for the GTR’s. It is my understanding that since late 2011 or early 2012, Nissan no longer put this part into new vehicle. I am also aware that a number of other 370z owners have contacted Nissan and put them on notice of this issue. Some of the stories of 370z owners discussing the issue on the community website “www.The370z.com” are below.

Intelligent Key System Warning Light...

DIY Replace dreaded steering-lock on 2009s and early 2010s.

She's Dead, Jim

Those of you who have had Steering Lock Failure

Z Looked Awesome on a Tow Truck (Sarcastic)

I am formally requested that Nissan-USA cover or reimburse me for the costs of the repair of this defective part as well as to provide a rental vehicle or reimburse me for the cost of a rental vehicle during repairs. I am awaiting a call back this afternoon from my local dealer. They will let me know the total cost of the repair as well as the availability of the replacement part. Apparently, the part has been on backorder for some time due to the number of defective and/or failed units exceeding the manufacturer’s ability to produce new units.

I would ask that someone please contact me as soon as possible regarding this problem at ___________. Thank you.