View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1063 (permalink)
djtodd
Track Member

Drives: 2012 Nismo TT
djtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond reputedjtodd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I'm a total noob at photography, so I have a question or two for you if you don't mind.

Did you use a high ISO for those top pics and then just touch them up in PS and/or Lightroom? I want to do some night shots but I don't know how to have them come out well-lit like that. I want to make sure I'm doing everything right with my camera settings (D5100) instead of just over processing everything in PS. You can message me so we don't clutter up the thread if you like.

Sent from my iPizzle using magic and new-fangled science stuff
As the others said, night photography for slow/stationary targets is best accomplished:
1) With a low iso (100/200) and longer exposures.
2) On a (good) tripod
3) With a remote release (Nikons have a fantastic super cheap remote that is all you'll ever need) It's the ML-L3 if you want to look it up, but you can get them anywhere online. I'm sure Canon has something similar.
4) If your frame has a delayed shutter release option, or mirror lock, use it. This raises the mirror then waits a short time before releasing the shutter, which lowers the chance of vibration/blur since you will be using a longer exposure.

One neat trick for night shots is to use a really strong filter on a remote flash to highlight a subject. Then adjust the color balance (easiest in post, but can be done in-camera), which puts your subject in correct WB and everything else gets shifted to an array of odd colors.
djtodd is offline   Reply With Quote