Thread: Ride and sound?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
DEpointfive0
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets go through the list, anyone who disagrees, feel free to correct me, and/or please give your input!

Noise: inside the cabin, you're left wanting more... There is BARELY an exhaust note, outside it's better, but last I checked, you drive on the inside.
On the Nismo, it's better, but not a whole lot better, it's somewhere like the old G35 coupes... But no real grumble when you really give it some gas

Vibration and harshness for me are similar, look, crap squeaks/rattles after time, more on this vs my Lexus...
Now, there's a gray area in the whole mix of things. The stock 370 isn't loud, it's NOISY, good goddamn, if the roads where you live aren't smoother than a baby's *** like on the Autobahn, the tire roar is terrible, you'll notice yourself talking louder or tuning the radio almost all the way up... Back in Dallas on the road to get to Costco, I swear on my life, that I had to SHOUT to talk and my stereo would be on the last notch to hear ANYTHING... Stock tires have a lot of roar, but I don't have stock tires and it STILL sucks...
This can be remedied by using some GTMat (sooooo much better now)

The ride quality... For 2013 (someone said unannounced in 2011 as well) Nissan changed the Sport suspension, so there are 3 different trims... The base and the sport, they ride great, I would make a 400 mile trip in my car in a heartbeat. I drive from Dallas to LA with 0 issues and I'm prone to back pain, AND I broke my assbone...
This leads to the Nismo... The Nismo rides like my Lexus ISF... Like a damn rock... You feel almost every bump in the road...
This also leads me to the other issue... Base/Nismo vs Touring seats...
The base/Nismo seats do not offer a lumbar adjustment, and they do not have an unlimited amount of adjustment positions (and the steering wheel only moves up/down) so having the touring really helps with getting the exact driving position.

Back to noise: aftermarket exhausts:
Almost none have drone or tinniness or rasp right off the shelf...
Titanium exhausts to up the pitch and almost make a tinny sound (some say exotic)...
I have had a Stillen exhaust, a FI exhaust with 12" resonators, and I have driven cars with a few extra exhausts (Ark, FI 18", FI non res)
I don't want to turn this into a "oh this is the best exhaust on the market thread" so I'll move on...
So, if you change the cats, this is where you'll get rasp, most of your tinniness and such.
When I had Berk HFCs, there was no rasp, no drone, no tinniness, there was however a whooshing sound and a hiss on deceleration. This is something you WILL experience with any HFCs, (a bit less with resonated ones)
When I had resonated test pipes (only tested it with my Stillen) everything else got amplified, exhaust got deafening (shít eating grin). Rasp, hiss, they were DEFINITELY apparent. But I'd only get SLIGHT drone at 80MPH on the freeway, and I do mean SLIGHT...
What would be worse is 45MPH in 7th under load (may sound dumb, but it's when I'm in cruise control going up a hill. 45MPH on flat roads with CC was fine)... I'd downshift to 4th-5th kill the drone if I was having a conversation with someone...

I THINK that covers it... Feel free to PM me or text me (310)eight nine three-4207
--Andrew

Last edited by DEpointfive0; 03-04-2013 at 11:48 AM.
DEpointfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote