View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #1801 (permalink)
F.I. Inc.
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 GT-R/2007 F-250
F.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeF.I. Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabestro View Post
One question guys, I don't know if this has been discussed before, there are too many pages in this thread to read. The stock exhaust has two flexible sections on each side, the F.I. doesn't have any, is there a chance of breaking the exhaust for being to rigid?
So I just wanted to chime in on this one a little bit. Believe it or not, I have been asked this question many times over the past 9 years ever since we started making exhaust systems for the 350Z/G35 Coupe. Here is why we do not use "Flex Joints" within our 2.5" cat back exhaust system. Please try and keep an open mind when reading my reasons because some of them are facts a few are opinions and some of them are based off of experiences.

-Flex joints are designed to give you more adjustability in the exhaust fitment, yes. However they are there to soak up in consistency in slight alignment issues. If an exhaust system is not produced to the exact spec of what it is bolting up to, the flex joint will allow you to fudge it and make it fit. This is not the correct way to do things. Sure it will take the bind off of the exhaust system and in turn shift the bind into the flex joint.

-In the case of this specific car the first rubber hangers that hold the exhaust up are located right in front of the rear sway bar. That is physically far away from either the transmission brace on the catalytic converters or the head of the engine. Now if you put flex joints directly in the front of the exhaust system everything behind them will (weigh) on them. This puts a lot of stress on them and after time they will deteriorate and eventually sag or worse yet, blow out and create an exhaust leak.

-They will decrease ground clearance.

-They add material cost and production time to the build process.

-The list goes on and on but in the grand scheme of things, your engine sits in rubber motor mounts. Your exhaust system sits in rubber hangers. Your exhaust system is indirectly bolted to your engine through your cats and manifolds. Nothing is solid mounted to the car and as the engine torques, the exhaust torques with it.

Thats all I have for now. Thank you for your time.

Tony
www.fastintentions.com
"FUELED BY PASSION"
F.I. Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote