Thread: Which Diff?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Z1Performance
Base Member

Drives: 350Z
Z1Performance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo34WV View Post
I can see where you would want a differential for winter driving, it does help by applying traction to both rear wheels, I assume you do not have the sports package, therefore the open differential won't be as good in snow.

However....
If you do not intend for any track use and primarily for winter driving/spirited driving, I would not recommend this IMHO. I know you didn't ask for this type of advise and merely wanted to know LSD brand reviews, but I must inform you of this.

I installed the NISMO LSD into my 350z for the EXACT same reason, improved driving experience and winter capability. Aftermarket LSD's are too aggressive for daily drivers. IMO They chatter and clunk around every turn at low speeds. VERY annoying. I would have to explain the sound to every passenger explaining "its not broke, its supposed to do that" If making a lock wheel turn ie driveway, parking garage, etc..., my inside wheel would slip and studder spin to keep up with the outside wheel, leaving rubber behind.

I regretted the LSD days after I installed it. Maybe you have already researched and know the charateristics of most aftermarket LSD's and are ok with it. Which is perfectly fine its all preference. I just wanted to give you a heads up before purchasing a ~1k part and $500 install.
aftermarket LSD's are not too aggressive...the one you installed though happens to be absolutely NASTY to drive though. You unfortunately picked the wrong one for the task at hand. Works well for a track car, not so much for anything else
Z1Performance is offline   Reply With Quote