View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #65 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
I'm really worried brother... I want more than anything for the Z to be a huge competitor in the next gen market. We never addressed the things we should've and what we did address it took too long.

That said. I don't see this current Z as a complete disaster and for whatever reason the American media felt they needed to? I think the Z's shortcomings are over-exaggerated. BUT, we need a formula that has to be bulletproof.

1. Much lighter weight (2800-3000lb range through alum &CF usage expansion) 370Z is pretty light, already, given what they are working with. I think they need to use SMC to drop more weight. A'la Corvette. Keep the back aluminum, go SMC on the front 1/2 of the car, they should be able to hit a near 50/50 with that and a few more tweaks.
2. An automatic transmission that can hold up to 500rwhp Fair, but that is 50% more than the car comes with. Why not brakes and suspension bushings that can hold the power it's already GOT?
3. A smoother short shifting manual. I agree. The only transmission I have had that was rougher was my TKO500. My Z06 and my WS.6 shifted much better.
4. Maintain or improve the 1g/1.01g of grip we currently have I strongly agree, but don't go chasing this number by ******* up the weight distribution like they did with this model, all that 53/47 jazz. It sucks. Some good tires from the factory would help, a LOT! Dump that Potenza junk and just accept that a good American tire like Michelin PSS is a better option unless they can figure something better out.
5. Universal brake cooling for all models That would be nice.
6. A body design that can support over 180mph top speeds w/o body kit. The 370Z feels very stable to me at 140-150, and it has a "zero lift" design currently, with the Sport package. Very happy with the Aero of the car.
7. A simplified yet very high quality interior. I'm so-so here. I don't find the interior daunting, but quality improvement is now needed to keep pace. It happens 4 model years in and all. Normal needs. I'd like for them to get rid of all the damn rattles and squeaks. The buzzing seatbelt is very annoying, and the buzzing dash isn't far behind.
8. Squeeze an extra foot of trunk space This would increase weight...but it would also increase wheel-base if done right, and thus high-speed stability.
9. Look at michelin PSS as standard sport tires. Hah! Just read this...
10. Maintain sport pkg width on tires and continue Rays wheel support. BMW M3 owner couldn't believe my car came stock with these. I'd like to see a tad more width. Maybe 255 up front and 285 out back.
11. Akebono needs to improve on weight reduction and ventilation on the next sport brake. It's a piece of crap. They need to do something, I'm not sure what, but you already read that thread...
12. Use high torque F.I. Motor Here is where I disagree with 99% of the board. I think that if the 370Z shed a tad of weight, got a more aggressive exhaust (Corvette style NPP would be the best solution), and added 5-10% more power via DI, while correcting their crappy 53/47 (really more like 55/45 in my testing with DOT scales), the car would wake up, sound like sex, and I really have nothing bad to say about the current engine. It's not a drag-racing car. I think 385bhp would be PLENTY! if they cut wet weight to 31-3250, which is what is realistic given price constraints, etc.)
13. Keep prices as reasonable as possible.
Well, yeah...
Stay away from

1. electric steering.
2. electric handbrakes
3. Too much digital shyt
4.Adding a clock in the triple gauge cluster

My .02, FWIW.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote