View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
We have a variable electric steering unit in our cars. Electric power steering has also gotten very inexpensive, improves gas mileage, and horsepower. I don't see manufacturers retaining hydraulic. If the base price for a Z is 33k and the base price for a Vette is closer to 50k, that's significant. If we use the Nismo instead, we are still off by around 8k. If you propose to reduce weight by 200-400lbs without switching to an aluminum chassis, it's impossible with the safety regulations. The use of carbon fiber is incredibly cost prohibitive and will send the price through the roof. Affordable carbon fiber is a relative term, and the cost for OEM's to use it is still very high. Regarding the NAV unit, like you said, it is an option. We don't need it, we have phones. The rest of the car world is turning their nav systems all fancy, if Nissan does not improve their tech side, it will only be another pitfall. The Vette has a lot of avenues to recoup development funds. The have their own racing team, and parts sharing is very high. There is no import tax to contend with and they build 10's of thousands a year. The Z doesn't make Nissan enough money on the Z to make a dedicated chassis. Now they can price a Nismo Z 10-20,000 higher than a normal one, make that chassis aluminum, throw a bunch of go fast parts and have that go battle with the serious fish in the business. Then make a base model with more basic amenities and reduced power to hit the low end of the market ($30k) A lot of this is just my opinion on the matter. I wish the same things are you do, but it will be far fetched to see some of it come to fruition.

You make some valid points but in reality. A beefier auto will help increase sales of the Z. Nissan went on record in 09 bragging about there 440hp threshold. Sadly, it truly was only 400 and it didn't reallly help when modding out the car. So they obviously were trying to show that "Even the auto was modifiable." In that sense. Beefing up the auto would benefit them based on there own advertising BS.
I could have sworn we have Hydraulic steering units with electronic assist which is different from Electronic steering. That's something else though. Unnecessary debate...
Lastly, our suspension, engine hood and crossbeams are aluminum right now. Our radiator housing and drive-shaft is carbon fiber. I'm sure it won't hurt to further increase this usage by another 15% while figuring out a way to use less steel on the chassis. Going all aluminum again is something else... and i agree it should go with the Nismo. Nismo is it's own racing division and it's about to expand greatly starting this year. Our cars aren't due for about 18 months. Funding can be pulled from the bread and butter vehicles Nissan currently runs and it's sharing of technology with mercedes. That merger isn't a one way street. Mercedes isn't giving us welfare. lol

all in all. Everything I said may not be able to happen first year. But nissan has an opportunity to create a world famous car. The Z name has held a lot of weight over the years, But was only able to be King for 6 of them (90-96) It's time to reclaim that.
A BRZ fighter won't do that. And if a BRZ fighter is what they build. The 370z will be my last Nissan for a while. It will be sad after having owned 6 Nissan and 2 infiniti vehicles. But my dollars will go somewhere else if they can't compete in a "REAL' sport arena and NOT some BRZ bullshyt.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote