View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #674 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderia47 View Post
I've read a lot of this thread and just to be 100% sure, after pulling the fuse there have not been any reported problems with people getting stranded. Correct?
Correct. Zero verified reports of any side effects.

At one time it was suspected that disabling the SLU could cause a random pause between pushing the start button and the engine cranking, but it was found to happen to those that have not disable the unit.

Quote:
Have those recently reporting failures above not pulled their fuse yet?
While it is possible for the electronics in the SLU to fail after pulling the fuse (the fuse only powers the motor to retract the locking pin), I have seen no reports of this happening ... yet. They will eventually fail, but the electronics - so far - has not been a problem. The problem is in two microswitches inside the SLU.

Quote:
I am seriously considering a 2009 Z and this steering lock thing is bugging me out. I need a new car bc my current car leaves me stranded but I don't want to pay a lot for a car that's going to leave me beached somewhere....but I also dont want to drive around in a kia and I really like the Z.
The fix is too easy to let this concern you. Not only can you pull the fuse, you can cut the motor power wire at the SLU or you can install a custom-built harness extension that is being sold by another member.

Quote:
I have no qualms about buying a Z if all I have to do is pull a fuse to increase the reliability and not get stranded for a silly reason.
The fix is really that simple. Get the Z and start having fun.

For more info see: Links to posts about Steering Wheel Lock (I haven't updated it in a while, but there hasn't been much in the way of new info; just rehashes of the same old stuff).