View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Japanjay
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z MB M6
Japanjay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
I'll respectfully disagree with the latter statement about SRM. It's not because no one wanted so spend the time to learn it. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Smoother engagements on up and down shifts mean longer life on drivetrain parts. Money back in the manufacturer's pocket. Not only that, it's a definite safety feature on a missed shift, the car won't rapidly change wheel speed when it's engaged. And most importantly for us who have it, it's one less thing to think about it when playing track warrior on the weekends. More time focused on brake points, hitting the apex and your immediate surroundings. For gentlemen such as yourself, turn it off. I'm pretty sure most women who happen to somehow find themselves in a SP Z or Nismo won't be downshifting when coming to a stop, they will most likely just press the clutch in and either put it in 1st or neutral when at a stop.
Tracking you car means any damage done shouldnt be covered under warranty. But none of us will openly admit we are doing that.

SRM is just a feature. If it was meant to prevent damage and what not and if that was its sole purpose then why have the option to turn off or on. The 7at downshifts no different when referencing the rpms at which you drop down into. And they have no option on that, all computer controled. When you get good at it, it is just second nature, you dont even think, just react. I am still trying to get the left foot braking down, that is not something I try on the streets. Been known to jab and not press.

When you get good at doing it yourself, you will find the flaws. Even humans mess up sometimes though.

Last edited by Japanjay; 02-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Japanjay is offline   Reply With Quote