View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #193 (permalink)
Clawesome
Base Member

Drives: '09 370z Pearl 6MT
Clawesome is on a distinguished road

Hoping you guys can help me troubleshoot my clutch. Seems to be slightly different than some of the problems reported here, but not 100%. If this should be in a separate thread, let me know. 2009 z with 47k miles.

The top 50% of my clutch pedal has entirely no resistance to it, especially when I first start the car. After pushing the pedal down, it will come back up to the point where resistance begins, but not all the way back up. Pumping the pedal a few times seems to give more resistance to the pedal. I have bled the clutch about once a week recently, and each time I get a boatload of air from the line. After bleeding the clutch, it will improve significantly (almost back to 100%), but then will become steadily worse day-by-day, to the point of not being able to get it in gear after about a week (at which point i bleed the clutch again). I replaced the master cylinder about 2 months ago, but the problems persisted. The fluid resovoir is at the same level every time I check it, although I have seen some fluid under the transmission in my garage (this could be air replacing the leaking fluid, to maintain the level?)

It seems like most people who have had a slave cylinder failure report that their clutch pedal will actually stick to the floor when it goes bad, whereas mine will come back up about 30-50% of the way.

I brought it to the dealership (even though I am out of warranty), and they wanted to replace the slave cylinder, pressure plate, and flywheel at a cost of about $3000. My research has me thinking that it is simply the slave cylinder going bad (and sucking in air somewhere), and the dealership is trying to screw me. Any thoughts?
Clawesome is offline   Reply With Quote