View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fishey
Base Member

Drives: Volvo T5-R
Fishey is a jewel in the roughFishey is a jewel in the roughFishey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dP3NGU1N View Post
^^^ THat was the article that I was thinking of. I saw the same thing in another thread. Like I said, very informative but hard to apply real world when comparing say, monotube-monotube. Like you mention in the very beginning, not all monotubes are constructed the same and this is a very general article on which performs better in certain situations.

But if you get into specifics between different monotube solutions there seems to be no readily available way to tell which one is better other than the brand name and cost. One would assume the higher cost yields you a finer result and more robust product, however, many of us know that is simply not always the case. Is there a way to determine quality between coilovers of different brands but similar design (mono, twin, etc).
To figure that out you have to do back to back testing/dynos/teardowns. No one is going to do that so you basically have to look at user reviews. However, you can't overcome physics the more seal friction you have the longer a mono-tube will last however as you up seal friction for durability you lose alot of ride comfort and response. That is why I say if your going monotube do it with a set of external resevoirs so you can re-charge the shock from time to time. That way you don't have that sacrafice of durability vs ride comfort/performance.

Last edited by Fishey; 02-21-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Fishey is offline   Reply With Quote