View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
If i was doing it, i'd be looking into sourcing a sensor designed for the purpose. Most of the automotive sensor manufacturers ...
Wow! Lots of great info but I don't think you understand the scope of this project. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the input - I find it interesting and it may come in handy later on.
The main purpose is to see if a cheap, DIY insulation job will have much of an effect on intake air temperature at the manifold. Any increase in performance will be nice, but the goal is to see if it's possible to keep AIT within "reasonable" levels with little investment of time and money. My target is ~95°F (which I believe is where the ECM starts reducing engine output) or a delta T from ambient of 3-5°F at speed and 10-15°F at a stop light.
I do not plan on using any of my temperature sensors to replace/augment the AIT sensor and the sensors will (probably) be removed at the end of the test. They are strictly for measurement/logging. I will try to insert a sensor next to the AIT sensor for comparison (might give a clue as to whether or not the measurement gets tweaked by the ECM). I plan on putting a sensor in the manifold, the entrance to the duct work, and the TB inlet - but positions may change depending on what I run into.

BTW, the sensors I ordered are waterproof DS18B20 (1-Wire digital temperature sensor/transmitter, –67°F to +257°F) with 2 meter leads. I'm not sure how well they will handle partial vacuum, but the pressure shouldn't be very low upstream of the TBs, so the manifold sensor should be the only one in any danger.
The meter/logger's fastest sample rate is 2secs/scan, but that should be more than fast enough for my purposes.

Quote:
As for the throttle body coolant bypass... i'm on the fence on this one. It's quite an involved mod to do esp with air bleeding etc so i'm not that keen on this one. ...
Yeah. Probably not a big heat source, but one of those "As long as I've come this far, might as well try it" things for me.
I think I can run a bypass line (I can't tell if it will hurt anything to block the flow completely, else I'd just insert a small ball valve in the line) and plug the existing piping.

Quote:
Although, if the ECM does indeed apply some calculation to the IAT detected temperature, the ECU won't even notice that the air passing thru the TB is now slightly cooler. ...
I wish I could find out exactly what the ECM does with the AIT sensor data - how it may be massaged, is heat gain after the AIT calculated, assumed, or ignored. If the engineers factored in heat gain after the AIT sensor, my insulation may turn out to have an adverse effect on efficiency.