View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
Portlander
Base Member

Drives: 10 370Z PW 6MT Sport
Portlander is on a distinguished road

The only way to resolve the performance difference between the two is obviously race side by side at the track with a driver who can drive a manual. This will never happen in the magazines, so we'll never know unless two owners go to the track and test it. I believe that any gain made by the automatic will be in the first sixty feet, after that it would be fairly equal with a slight advantage going to the manual in the top end. Steve, please correct me if I'm wrong here so I don't have to change my order and get a 7AT instead.

Now that said, my drag racing days at the track are over. Any spirited driving would be from a roll on the interstate or divided highway for a short distance instead of light to light. Understand, I do not condone street racing of any type, made enough poor judgement calls during the nineties and was very fortunate my friends and I in the Norfolk-Va Beach area never had an accident or hurt anyone. Any Z rolling up to on me on the highway would get a respectful thumbs up and an invite to pull over and talk about our cars. Chances of that happening in Maine are slim however, I think only four have been sold so far in the entire state.

Am not purchasing a 370Z to compete against my fellow Z owners regardless of transmission choice! Other performance cars that may challenge me in a responsible manner, now that's a different story. "You run what you brung"