View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #43 (permalink)
juld0zer
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11 Nissan 370Z MB M6
juld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond reputejuld0zer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
I'm not looking for a big drop, 4-5°F would make me happy. I'd also like to get temps back to normal a lot quicker after sitting in traffic.

IIRC, the ECM starts pulling timing advance when IAT gets above 95°F.

Yes. The ECM uses the temp sensor in the bank 1 (right side) MAF and that is what you see on the ScanGauge. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out the sensor data is massaged a bit before being reported, but it should be close to what the sensor is seeing.
Where did you get the 95*F figure? I'm very interested in reading more about this topic as over here in Australia, we experience ambients over 30 degrees celsius for half the year. But from general driving experience this summer i think you're on the mark. It could be even lower like 30*C/86*F as that's when i start feeling the bog on take off.

What i can say is relocating the IAT sensor by way of a separate IAT sensor (think of the GM HSRK sort of thing, except a ghetto version) was the best thing i've done to address the heatsoaked sensor issues. My IAT sensor (a thermister type) is installed inside the bank 2 air intake duct (the barrell between the airbox and the fascia).

I chose bank 2 because firstly i was misinformed on a thread somewhere. But in the end it seems that the radiator piping around bank 1 airbox/duct radiates a lot of heat so if i was to do it again, i'd stick with bank 2 and put up with running the extra wire.

It's mounted about 2.5" from the mouth as that's the closest i could get a flat surface to mount it with a grommet. IATs are within 2*C while cruising on a cool day/night. On a hot day you can't avoid hot air wafting upwards from the radiator and being drawn in while the car is stationary but within a few seconds from take off, i'm within 5-8*C of ambient (based on the outside temp onboard sensor).

As for the foil wrap, mine overlaps a few mm over each section of tape and that's the way it should be. The places i wouldnt do extra layers on is the side which faces the front of the car as that's where mine looks quite snug. Every other side you have sufficient room to go nuts
juld0zer is offline   Reply With Quote